Is gambling a problem for you or someone you know? visit:-sabinoarana.org
With the inception of Internet gambling and Native American casinos compulsive gambling has become a serious problem for many teens and adults.
“Seemingly innocent office pools many times are catalysts for some people to get involved in sports betting,” Looney said. “Many of these pools are illegal.”
Many people are using the Internet, to place bets and gamble. “Internet gambling has increased from one site to 1,400 in the past six years,” said Kevin O’Neill, deputy director of the Council on Compulsive Gambling of New Jersey, Inc., on the council’s Web site. “Easy availability and opportunity to make bets are the key essentials for young people to move into problem and compulsive gambling.”
A study by the National Institute of Mental Health concluded 4.2 million Americans are addicted to gambling, 60 percent of whom have yearly incomes under $25,000.
Gamblers Anonymous suggests answering the following twenty questions.
1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
3. Did gambling affect your reputation?
4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?
8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?
9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
12. Were you reluctant to use “gambling money” for normal expenditures?
13. Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?
14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble?
16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
18. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?
20. Have you ever considered self destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?